Friday, March 7, 2008

International Projects and General Ramblings

During the first two trips, I was working with French "tutors" or what I would call test leads. They would say start at 9:00 but not start until 10:00. Then after 30 minutes they'd say "lets take a 5 minute break" and not come back until a half hour had passed. Progress then of course was slow. And, I was beginning to wonder if we'd ever get anything finished!

This week, I was working mostly with a female Hungarian "tutor" and a Chinese man. We stayed much more focused and were able to accomplish most of our tasks in half of the allotted time.

I prefer the latter as I'd rather work hard and get this work done as apposed to letting it drag on for several months beyond the plan.

Tonight, my boss, Richard is taking me out for dinner to celebrate my 10th year anniversary with the company which is Sunday. I think we're going to a high end French restaurant. This week I have eaten more French food than all of the previous trips combined. Usually we eat quite a bit Italian, Chinese, and Mediterranean. I actually like the French food. But, I've not yet worked up enough guts to try the raw steak tartar. Maybe I'll try it tonight... or maybe not.

This weekend, several of the Americans are going to Versailles. I'm leaning toward just venturing out alone to see where I end up. Versailles, I am told is better done when it warms up as much of what there is to see and do is outdoors. Plus, the weather isn't supposed to be very good today. If I don't stay out too late tonight, I may try to hit Notre Dame as soon as it opens in the morning.

Next week, I'm likely working with a French "tutor" rather than the Hungarian. But, as we learn more and more about the SAP system, we will likely start working more independently only calling for help when we get stuck.

I used to think that I wanted to do expatriate work. But, I don't think that I'd like it as much now as I would have when I was younger. I'm coming to really appreciate Kentucky and my family back home. Even with everything to see and do in Europe, I'd much rather have my weekends at home. Plus, it'd be nice to have the company of my wife more frequently.

D.

No comments: